Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Anne Boleyn in her own words

I just read "The Lady in the Tower" by the mistress, Jean Plaidy. Anne tells her story, and one is drawn in by her wisdom in hindsight. She writes/tells from the time when she lives and now her life is done, to paraphrase Chidiock Tichborne. Such a vantage point has made her quite perceptive, especially regarding her imperious behavior around Henry VIII, a man she admits she never loved. Well, he really wasn't that lovable, I should think.

Unlucky in love and embittered thereby - Henry Percy of the North being an early beau, she feels that Henry prevented their union so he could have this tasty morsel to himself. She traded any hope for further love for ambition, a quality that stood her in good standing in her relationship with Henry Tudor. The result is resounding success at getting her way with the King, but at such a cost to the nation, and a knife edge of danger, though she believes the necessary son will result from their relationship.

One may regard Anne as something of a silly woman, but Plaidy's take on her introspection, however late, is very engaging and believable. Basically, she was in over her head, and only in looking back she sees the power of the despot she was dealing with, power over her very life.


4 comments:

Daphne said...

This is my favorite Plaidy (so far!). If you haven't read it already, you might also like The Concubine by Norah Lofts. I think it's my favorite book about Anne Boleyn.

Passages to the Past said...

Plaidy is so awesome at letting the reader walk away with their own impression rather than feed it to them. It's actually quite amazing that she does so without any judgement on her part - that would be hard for me! I just bought Concubine and have heard lots of good things about it!

Judy said...

I have never read Norah Lofts, so "The Concubine" looks like a good book to start with! Amy, I think you are right about Plaidy - Anne is a complex character, and her treatment is a thoroughly thoughtful one.

Anonymous said...

I really must read this book but I've already got such a long list of must-reads! I've also been recommended The Concubine so that one will ahve to get added to the list too!